Highlighting the problems faced by sharks is the easy bit. The challenge is to take problems and find real-world solutions. Shark conservation is a global problem and needs global solutions.
We need to change our understanding and appreciation for sharks. And we need to change how we manage and protect populations on a global scale.
We believe the best way to safeguard the future of sharks is through a solutions-based approach that promotes positive change.
All of our projects, campaigns, and policy actions drive progress towards these 3 key goals:
- SPECIES PROTECTION - protection of endangered species through legislation and effective conservation action. Our projects place at the heart of conservation action.
- FISHERIES MANAGEMENT - fisheries managed for sustainability to prevent declines in non-threatened species. We're working to to prevent population decline through overfishing.
- RESPONSIBLE TRADE – we promote responsible trade and reduced demand for non-sustainable shark products.
Our conservation goals set the agenda for our work. We achieve these through projects and campaigns that bring together different players.
The Agents Of Change
Like a jigsaw, there are many pieces that make up the big picture - a positive future for sharks relies on all the pieces coming together. The major players need to be involved in change:
- GOVERNMENTS – need to make changes in policy, collaborate, and enforce laws to ensure good practice. We work with national and international policymakers to secure policy change and ensure implementation to safeguard sharks.
- INDUSTRY – need to drive sustainable practice and responsible trade for shark products and seafood. We work with the fishing industry and businesses to achieve pragmatic change.
- SCIENTISTS – need to provide an evidence base for conservation planning and fisheries management. is at the heart of our work, allowing us to set priorities and generate evidence to support change.
- NGO’s & CHARITIES – need to provide specialist advice, communicate, campaign, and work together for change. We believe in . Partnership is vital to safeguarding shark, skate and ray populations around the world.
And, of course, there’s YOU!
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
You can participate in the PADI AWARE Shark Conservation Diver Specality Course